6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 2:26 PM by RSS

Panoptix's support for SNMPv3

boucherp16

As the world of Facility and IT protocol's converge in the Intelligent Building designs, does or will the Panoptix's adapters support the SNMP and specifically SNMP V3 MIB's application protocols that ride on the UDP/IP stack?     This could be beneficial for collecting much of the energy consumption as well as a variety of management information on hardware from IT switches, servers, storage, CRAC's, UPS's and PDU's that have SNMP embedded.  

• Re: Panoptix's support for SNMPv3
    phil.zito

Paul,

Let me talk with some of my counterparts and find out. I would assume that it would but we all know what making assumptions can do. That being said SNMP V3 is such common protocol and I know our Metasys product has SNMP V3 capabilities with its own custom MIB's so I cannot imagine that it would be very difficult for a app to normalize SNMP V3.

-Phil

jeffwoolums

The question should be does Panoptix integrate an SNMP trap in its core to filter SNMPv3 data that is specific to BAS systems.  If so I would agree that sniffing data for environmental or usage could be useful but to what extent?

Don't get me wrong its is a great idea at its core, but data is just data unless its has context and meaning which from what I gather panoptix will offer through layers of applications.  In other words, facility equipment already has a method to get most data out into a potentially useful environment of the BAS to look at managing energy usage. ie bacnet or even some form of modbus.  But unless servers and switches can begin load shedding protocols to really inflict true energy reduction I struggle with the net $ spend on a full integration of all equipment. 

For now trapping snmp data is a no brainier but what does it mean unless IT or BAS guys start being the same guy and they start using the same tools.  So for this reason perhaps Panoptix is that bridge the will merge the two camps.

boucherp16

One application for the datacenter space could be calculating a real time Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) by measuring the IT equipment energy spend against the facility equipment energy spend.   This could be applied to energy in the telecommunications closets, which are essentially a small datacenter anyway. 

Most of the IT equipment manufacturers are collecting not only network information like traffic utilization, collisions, bad packets, etc but also temperature, energy and humidity information right from the end device, if these environmental thresholds are being exceeded with any of these devices, we should be able to alarm and send information to the IT folks as well as the facility folks so we can act on it.    I just see the SNMP protocol every bit important as BACnet, LON, MODbus, what information we can collect from all the manufactures MIB will create a number of potential new apps.

Panoptix's is going to be the intelligent building management platform, not just an energy efficiency application. Its bigger than just energy

phil.zito

Jeff,

Nice to see you on here. I agree it depends on the usage. I hesitate to answer the question because while I understand the theory behind the Panoptix approach I do not know the nuts and bolts as of yet. I would say yes, (granted this would be with the acknowledgment of my lack of full knowledge in regards to the product) that since Panoptix will normalize data to a XML based output that one would easily be able to normalize SNMP to XML through the SDK and in turn create an application that meets the purpose of the original posters question.

cervantes

Can you tell me why you want to use SNMP?

I would think BACnet, LON or OPC are better choices.

And, if security is an issue I can see OPC UA probably the leading choice of those.

To me, it appears that your question was valid, but not correctly interpreted. My understanding is that Panoptix provides a "normalized" repository of energy usage and load, which applications can obtain and possibly combine with other sources and provide visualizations and/or instructions. It does not provide access to configuration or control of energy consuming devices (systems). Panoptix does not provide an open access for adding information (structure, definitions of energy consuming devices, nor consumption data) to the repository. Instead, this information is provided by Johnson Controls proprietary products such as Metasys. Given this, a restatement of the question is whether or not Metasys can obtain information on energy consumption from devices that provide it via SNMP and then populate the Panoptix repository. The reason for wanting this that there are already devices that provide energy consumption data via SNMP, and adding that data to the Panoptix repository would provide better visibility into energy usage.